Earlier this month I had the privilege of speaking at Open Hardware Summit 2016. (Watch the full talk below.) There were approximately 300 attendees, including: artists, designers, developers, educators, hackers, journalists, students, and other professionals from the Open Source Hardware community.
Because of this context, my talk assumed the values of Free Software and Open Source Hardware, and jumped right in to applying these ideas to marketing in five functional areas. These areas include:
- Tools – Software, hardware, and more.
- Processes – Frameworks, policies, and procedures.
- Messaging – Telling stories.
- Content – Sharing stories.
- Support – File formats, platforms, and elsewhere.
Watch the full ~13 minute talk below:
Source: Video © 2016 Open Source Hardware Association. Presentation © 2016 Aleph Objects, Inc. shared under CC BY-SA 4.0 International – view the slides online here. Presentation source hosted on GitHub.
Special thanks to the people who helped me with this talk, including:
- Elio Qoshi (Ura)
- Leslie Hinson (PatternFly)
- Louisa Bisio (System76)
- Eleftherios Kosmas (SatNOGS)
- Drew Fustini (OSH Park)